INDEX OF ALL 800+ POSTS➢ 2009 till now : Everything at Shapers of the 80s...
Now in our eleventh year.
Thanks for 1.8 million hits.
MORE INTERESTING THAN MOST PEOPLE’S FANTASIES — THE SWINGING EIGHTIES 1978-1984They didn’t call themselves New Romantics, or the Blitz Kids – but other people did.
“I’d find people at the Blitz who were possible only in my imagination. But they were real” — Stephen Jones, hatmaker, 1983. (Illustration courtesy Iain R Webb, 1983)
“The truth about those Blitz club people was more interesting than most people’s fantasies” — Steve Dagger, pop group manager, 1983
“See David Johnson’s fabulously detailed website Shapersofthe80s to which I am hugely indebted” – Political historian Dominic Sandbrook, in his book Who Dares Wins, 2019
A UNIQUE HISTORY➢ WELCOME to the Swinging 80s
➢ THE BLOG POSTS on this front page report topical updates
➢ ROLL OVER THE MENU AT TOP to go deeper into the past
➢ FOR NEWS & MONTH BY MONTH SEARCH, see the sidebar below
❏ Header artwork by Kat Starchild shows Blitz Kids Darla Jane Gilroy, Elise Brazier, Judi Frankland and Steve Strange, with David Bowie at centre in his 1980 video for Ashes to Ashes
TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME
◆ Who was who in Spandau’s break-out year of 1980? The Invisible Hand of Shapersofthe80s draws a selective timeline for The unprecedented rise and rise of Spandau Ballet –– Turn to our inside page
- 2020 ➤ Vocalist Hadley hammers final nail into the coffin of Spandau Ballet
- 2020 ➤ Gaz still rockin’ those blues a lifetime later
- 1980 ➤ Why Bowie came recruiting Blitz Kids for his Ashes to Ashes video
- 2020 ➤ Singer Ross reveals how Spandau drove him to try ending it all
- ➤ Why every Stephen Jones hat casts its own magic spell
- 1979 ➤ Ethereal Bowie sets the bar for one of his inadvertent hits
- ➤ Sullivan & Elms relive their clubland double act
- 2020 ➤ Sheeran and Radcliffe bag the big bucks in Sunday Times Rich List
- 2020 ➤ Steve Dagger recalls Spandau Ballet’s fifth gig and why it detonated their lift-off
- 2020 ➤ And now Bowie pays the ultimate tribute to Little Richard
- 2020 ➤ Bowie on Kraftwerk and his tribute to Florian Schneider
- 2020 ➤ Beyond: Learning how to be black and gay and blaze a trail to the future
SEARCH our 700 posts or ZOOM DOWN TO THE ARCHIVE INDEX
UNTOLD BLITZ STORIES
✱ If you thought there was no more to know about the birth of Blitz culture in 1980 then get your hands on a sensational new book by an obsessive music fan called David Barrat. It is gripping, original and epic – a spooky tale of coincidence and parallel lives as mind-tingling as a Sherlock Holmes yarn. Titled both New Romantics Who Never Were and The Untold Story of Spandau Ballet! Sample this initial taster here at Shapers of the 80s
CHEWING THE FAT
LANDMARK FAREWELLS. . . HIT THE INDEX TAB UP TOP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
✱ “I’m not a rock star” Bowie often said – No, David, you were a messiah – Obituaries and key videos on the godlike one
Archive — Many publication dates are arbitrary, so click and take pot luck!
Tag Archives: Christopher Walken
❚ WEAPON OF CHOICE is a short video clip of a Fatboy Slim track directed by Spike Jonze. Yes, that is Christopher Walken performing a swing-from-the-rafters dance solo as a weary businessman who unexpectedly launches himself into the hotel lobby. And, yes again, Walken has a long history as a dancer, and you’ll be even more impressed with his tap-and-strip routine in the 1981 film musical Pennies From Heaven, below, which derived, clunk-click, from Dennis Potter’s Bafta award-winning BBC television drama in 1978, clunk-click-whirr, which made a star of Bob Hoskins.
But Shapersofthe80s is sending you first to UbuWeb to view Weapon of Choice because if you’ve travelled this far into the 21st century without discovering the mightiest single website for the 20th-century’s outsider avantgarde, this is your electric moment. Weapon of Choice (2001) is among the UbuWeb Top Ten videos for January 2011 selected by Paula Scher, an American graphic designer who turned out her fair share of album sleeves en route to Pentagram.