◼ HOT HIGHLIGHTS from the annual Popjustice Readers’ Poll nail exactly who mattered on the UK music scene in 2014, plus frank verdicts on those acts you really want to see turned over. We’ve avoided too many spoilers here – mainly teasers to send you to PJ for the teeming madhouse of Joe P’s opinion. . .
BEST SINGLES OF THE YEAR
- Sia – Chandelier
- Charli XCX – Boom Clap
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
[Full chart online at PJ, along with Worst Singles]
BEST ALBUMS OF THE YEAR
- Taylor Swift – 1989
- Sia – 1000 Forms of Fear
- Ariana Grande – My Everything
[Full chart online at PJ, along with Worst Albums]
MAJOR ARTIST WITH DISAPPOINTING MUSIC MOST AT ODDS WITH ABILITY TO ACHIEVE BETTER
- Calvin Harris
- Lady Gaga
Match these acts to the remaining awards
MORE IN SIMILAR INSOLENT VEIN, SUCH AS:
- Worst attempt at a solo career. . . Most ridiculous recording artist. . . Had it, lost it in 2014. . . Most deluded artist. . . Total bellend of the year (a bit hard on Louis Walsh, this one)
- Best deejay. . . Best TV show with music. . . Best video and Shoddiest video. . .
- Best new act to properly get going in 2014. . . Newish act most likely to save pop in 2015. . . Act we should send to Eurovision in 2015
- Group most likely to split in 2015 (no direction needed to guess the first in a list of ten).
- Sickest beat of the year as good excuse to get Lorde mentioned. And many more to keep you smirking.
Another contender, you choose the award
➢ 2014 Popjustice Readers’ Poll in full
January 2014: George with his old band-mates from Culture Club – clockwise, Roy Hay, Mikey Craig and Jon Moss (photo from Facebook)
➢ Boy George posts a new pic at Facebook Jan 31, and says:
“ Had a little writing session with the Club last week. Four degrees of pout! The plot thickens.” … His website adds: “Expect a new album and a tour from Culture Club by the end of 2014. ”
❏ The last time George announced a Culture Club reunion (2011 New Year’s Eve gig in Sydney, Australia) Jon Moss was also photographed in the studio rehearsals, but he couldn’t be there on the night. Update Feb 2014: In an entertaining new interview on YouTube (below) Jon explains why at around 12 minutes…
➢ 2014 George adds six new UK dates to his This Is What I Do tour including London Indigo
➢ George announces his new website, Jan 29 and Club Culture Radio, his new monthly podcast
Early incarnation of Culture Club in 1982: described by George at Facebook as Mikey’s difficult “jumper” period
➢ Boy George at Facebook, Jan 24:
“ A lot of people don’t know I’m a DJ but I’ve been doing this for 30 years! They say, Oh you’re not the Boy George from the 80s though are you? and I say Yeah, there’s only one; it would have been dangerous to make two! ” The fan comments are even sharper, eg, “Do you do private weddings?”