First posted here on 5 September 2009
INDEX OF ALL 800+ POSTS➢ 2009 till now : Everything at Shapers of the 80s...
Now in our eleventh year.
Thanks for 1.8 million hits.
MORE INTERESTING THAN MOST PEOPLE’S FANTASIES — THE SWINGING EIGHTIES 1978-1984They didn’t call themselves New Romantics, or the Blitz Kids – but other people did.
“I’d find people at the Blitz who were possible only in my imagination. But they were real” — Stephen Jones, hatmaker, 1983. (Illustration courtesy Iain R Webb, 1983)
“The truth about those Blitz club people was more interesting than most people’s fantasies” — Steve Dagger, pop group manager, 1983
“See David Johnson’s fabulously detailed website Shapersofthe80s to which I am hugely indebted” – Political historian Dominic Sandbrook, in his book Who Dares Wins, 2019
“The (velvet) goldmine that is Shapers of the 80s” – Verdict of Chris O’Leary, respected author and blogger who analyses Bowie song by song at Pushing Ahead of the Dame
A UNIQUE HISTORY➢ WELCOME to the Swinging 80s
➢ THE BLOG POSTS on this front page report topical updates
➢ ROLL OVER THE MENU AT TOP to go deeper into the past
➢ FOR NEWS & MONTH BY MONTH SEARCH, see the sidebar below
❏ Header artwork by Kat Starchild shows Blitz Kids Darla Jane Gilroy, Elise Brazier, Judi Frankland and Steve Strange, with David Bowie at centre in his 1980 video for Ashes to Ashes
VINCENT BACK AT JAZZFM
TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME
◆ Who was who in Spandau’s break-out year of 1980? The Invisible Hand of Shapersofthe80s draws a selective timeline for The unprecedented rise and rise of Spandau Ballet –– Turn to our inside page
- 2020 ➤ Sade’s 20 songs that ensure she remains a 21st-century star
- ➤ The day Harry Evans answered his interview question for me
- 2020 ➤ Saatchi hosts those Gen Z degree shows you missed
- 1980 ➤ Life on Mars as you’ve never heard Bowie before!
- ➤ Farewell Kansai the fashion genius who breathed the same colours as Bowie
- 1991 ➤ Supercool video found of Bowie duetting with Morrissey
- 2020 ➤ Yes, Midge Ure has Fleetwood Mac to thank for his landmark hit Vienna
- 2020 ➤ UK Madheads re-invent the Madness hit Our House
- 2020 ➤ Star drummers salute Ringo Starr in an ear-opening demonstration of his gifts
- 2020 ➤ Vocalist Hadley hammers final nail into the coffin of Spandau Ballet
- 2020 ➤ Gaz still rockin’ those blues a lifetime later
- 1980 ➤ Why Bowie came recruiting Blitz Kids for his Ashes to Ashes video
SEARCH our 700 posts or ZOOM DOWN TO THE ARCHIVE INDEX
UNTOLD BLITZ STORIES
✱ If you thought there was no more to know about the birth of Blitz culture in 1980 then get your hands on a sensational new book by an obsessive music fan called David Barrat. It is gripping, original and epic – a spooky tale of coincidence and parallel lives as mind-tingling as a Sherlock Holmes yarn. Titled both New Romantics Who Never Were and The Untold Story of Spandau Ballet! Sample this initial taster here at Shapers of the 80s
CHEWING THE FAT
LANDMARK FAREWELLS. . . HIT THE INDEX TAB UP TOP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
✱ “I’m not a rock star” Bowie often said – No, David, you were a messiah – Obituaries and key videos on the godlike one
Archive — Many publication dates are arbitrary, so click and take pot luck!