“ The highlight of this year’s voestalpine Klangwolke in Linz, Germany, was a choreographed air show with 50 small Hummingbird helicopters equipped with LEDs. Ars Electronica Futurelab and Ascending Technologies set a world record because this was the largest swarm of “quadrocopters” (so called because of their four large rotors) outdoors at the same time… ” / Continued online at Asctec
INDEX OF ALL 800+ POSTS➢ 2009 till now : Everything at Shapers of the 80s...
Now in our thirteenth year.
Thanks for 1.8 million hits.
MORE INTERESTING THAN MOST PEOPLE’S FANTASIES — THE SWINGING EIGHTIES 1978-1984They didn’t call themselves New Romantics, or the Blitz Kids – but other people did.
“I’d find people at the Blitz who were possible only in my imagination. But they were real” — Stephen Jones, hatmaker, 1983. (Illustration courtesy Iain R Webb, 1983)
“The truth about those Blitz club people was more interesting than most people’s fantasies” — Steve Dagger, pop group manager, 1983
“See David Johnson’s fabulously detailed website Shapersofthe80s to which I am hugely indebted” – Political historian Dominic Sandbrook, in his book Who Dares Wins, 2019
“The (velvet) goldmine that is Shapers of the 80s” – Verdict of Chris O’Leary, respected author and blogger who analyses Bowie song by song at Pushing Ahead of the Dame
A UNIQUE HISTORY➢ WELCOME to the Swinging 80s
➢ THE BLOG POSTS on this front page report topical updates
➢ ROLL OVER THE MENU at page top to go deeper into the past
➢ FOR NEWS & MONTH BY MONTH SEARCH scroll down this sidebar
❏ Header artwork by Kat Starchild shows Blitz Kids Darla Jane Gilroy, Elise Brazier, Judi Frankland and Steve Strange, with David Bowie at centre in his 1980 video for Ashes to Ashes
VINCENT FROM EASTER 2021
REWIND GOES AHEAD
✱ Rewind Festival 2021 confirms favourite 80s icons for Scotland, North and South during July and August. Book now
TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME
◆ Who was who in Spandau’s break-out year of 1980? The Invisible Hand of Shapersofthe80s draws a selective timeline for The unprecedented rise and rise of Spandau Ballet –– Turn to our inside page
- 2021 ➤ Spandau’s Gary Kemp goes solo with a love song for the Radio 2 audience
- ➤ Duran reveal secrets behind their songs
- 2021 ➤ Robbie Vincent wins Sunday radio slot!
- 1983 ➤ Who’d be a spy while the 80s were swinging?
- 2001 ➤ Blitz Kids nail the rites for a Tuesday night out
- ➤ Fond farewells to Joe Allen who revolutionised London’s restaurant scene
- 1980 ➤ When Duran Duran put Brummie Romantics on the map
- 2021 ➢ Famous last words from Frau Blücher and Nurse Diesel
- ➤ It’s A Sin reviewed: “Supporting the sadness there is an abundance of humour”
- 2021 ➤ Olly Alexander fronts new C4 drama series exploring Aids in the Eighties
- 2020 ➤ Premiering tonight: Spandau’s Parade tour from the Swinging 80s
- 2020 ➤ Farewell Daniella, the girl who inspired Ziggy’s fiery hair
SEARCH our 800 posts or ZOOM DOWN TO THE ARCHIVE INDEX
UNTOLD BLITZ STORIES
✱ If you thought there was no more to know about the birth of Blitz culture in 1980 then get your hands on a sensational book by an obsessive music fan called David Barrat. It is gripping, original and epic – a spooky tale of coincidence and parallel lives as mind-tingling as a Sherlock Holmes yarn. Titled both New Romantics Who Never Were and The Untold Story of Spandau Ballet! Sample this initial taster here at Shapers of the 80s
CHEWING THE FAT
LANDMARK FAREWELLS. . . HIT THE INDEX TAB UP TOP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
✱ “I’m not a rock star” Bowie often said – No, David, you were a messiah – Obituaries and key videos on the godlike one
Archive — Many publication dates are arbitrary, so click and take pot luck!