INDEX OF ALL 800+ POSTS➢ 2009 till now : Click for everything at Shapers of the 80s...
Now in our fourteenth year.
Thanks for 2 million hits.
ON YOUR MOBILE
➢ Choose “View full site” – then in the blue bar atop your mobile page, click the three horizontal lines linking to many blue themed pages with background articles.
MORE INTERESTING THAN MOST PEOPLE’S FANTASIES — THE SWINGING EIGHTIES 1978-1984They didn’t call themselves New Romantics, or the Blitz Kids – but other people did.
“I’d find people at the Blitz who were possible only in my imagination. But they were real” — Stephen Jones, hatmaker, 1983. (Illustration courtesy Iain R Webb, 1983)
“The truth about those Blitz club people was more interesting than most people’s fantasies” — Steve Dagger, pop group manager, 1983
“See David Johnson’s fabulously detailed website Shapers of the 80s to which I am hugely indebted” – Political historian Dominic Sandbrook, in his book Who Dares Wins, 2019
“The (velvet) goldmine that is Shapers of the 80s” – Verdict of Chris O’Leary, respected author and blogger who analyses Bowie song by song at Pushing Ahead of the Dame
“The rather brilliant Shapers of the 80s website” – Dylan Jones in his Sweet Dreams paperback, 2021
A UNIQUE HISTORY➢ WELCOME to the Swinging 80s
➢ THE BLOG POSTS on this front page report topical updates
➢ ROLL OVER THE MENU at page top to go deeper into the past
➢ FOR NEWS & MONTH BY MONTH SEARCH scroll down this sidebar
❏ Header artwork by Kat Starchild shows Blitz Kids Darla Jane Gilroy, Elise Brazier, Judi Frankland and Steve Strange, with David Bowie at centre in his 1980 video for Ashes to Ashes
VINCENT ON AIR 2022
TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME
◆ Who was who in Spandau’s break-out year of 1980? The Invisible Hand of Shapersofthe80s draws a selective timeline for The unprecedented rise and rise of Spandau Ballet –– Turn to our inside page
- 2022 ➤ Martin Kemp on a life full of love but lacking two vital apologies
- 2022 ➤ Rock god Frampton comes home to make his final farewells
- 2022 ➤ After the op, Judi Frankland gets her boxing gloves on
- 2022 ➤ Steve Norman relives Spandau’s Glory days
- 2022 ➤ Out of chaos comes forth Grace Jones
- 2022 ➤ Spandau seek your help to create a major new showcase
- 1982 ➤ When fans first screamed for Spandau and two climbed up to their window
- 1982 ➤ Strange takes UK clubbing mainstream
- 2022 ➤ New Romantics? Here are some who won’t own to that name
- 2021 ➤ So what’s the Bowie premium as Judi’s Ashes hat goes for sale?
- 1966 ➤ The interview that made John Lennon US public enemy number one
- 2021 ➤ Steve Norman returns with The Sleevz and a surprise royal send-off!
SEARCH our 800 posts or ZOOM DOWN TO THE ARCHIVE INDEX
UNTOLD BLITZ STORIES
✱ If you thought there was no more to know about the birth of Blitz culture in 1980 then get your hands on a sensational book by an obsessive music fan called David Barrat. It is gripping, original and epic – a spooky tale of coincidence and parallel lives as mind-tingling as a Sherlock Holmes yarn. Titled both New Romantics Who Never Were and The Untold Story of Spandau Ballet! Sample this initial taster here at Shapers of the 80s
CHEWING THE FAT
LANDMARK FAREWELLS. . . HIT THE INDEX TAB UP TOP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
✱ “I’m not a rock star” Bowie often said – No, David, you were a messiah – Obituaries and key videos on the godlike one
Archive — Many publication dates are arbitrary, so click and take pot luck!
➤ Index of posts for December 2010
Posted on 25 Jan 2011
This entry was posted in Clubbing, Fashion, Film, London, North America, Pop music, Social trends, Technology, Youth culture and tagged books of the year, David Bowie, Duran Duran, festive games, John Lennon, Memorabilia, New year honours, Spandau Ballet, Stephen Jones, Swinging 80s. Bookmark the permalink.