INDEX OF ALL 700+ POSTS➢ 2009 till now : Everything at Shapers of the 80s...
Now in our eleventh year.
Thanks for 1.75 million visits.
MORE INTERESTING THAN MOST PEOPLE’S FANTASIES — THE SWINGING EIGHTIES 1978-1984They didn’t call themselves New Romantics, or the Blitz Kids – but other people did.
“I’d find people at the Blitz who were possible only in my imagination. But they were real” — Stephen Jones, hatmaker, 1983. (Illustration courtesy Iain R Webb, 1983)
“The truth about those Blitz club people was more interesting than most people’s fantasies” — Steve Dagger, pop group manager, 1983
An “invaluable website” — historian Dominic Sandbrook, 2012
A UNIQUE HISTORY➢ WELCOME to the Swinging 80s
➢ THE BLOG POSTS on this front page report topical updates
➢ ROLL OVER THE MENU AT TOP to go deeper into the past
➢ FOR NEWS & MONTH BY MONTH SEARCH, see the sidebar below
❏ Header artwork by Kat Starchild shows Blitz Kids Darla Jane Gilroy, Elise Brazier, Judi Frankland and Steve Strange, with David Bowie at centre in his 1980 video for Ashes to Ashes
TOLD FOR THE FIRST TIME
◆ Who was who in Spandau’s break-out year of 1980? The Invisible Hand of Shapersofthe80s draws a selective timeline for The unprecedented rise and rise of Spandau Ballet –– Turn to our inside page
- ➤ Second time unlucky as fire ravages former Camden Palace nightspot
- ➤ Singer Tony Hadley wins royal gong for his services to charity
- ➤ Andy Polaris loads up his own fantabulous Yuletide jukebox
- 2019 ➤ Scott Walker: a singular figure in art and ideas
- 1979 ➤ Spandau’s manager Steve Dagger tells of two offers to sign his band at their debut
- 35 years since Band Aid’s monster Christmas single and the 80s ceased to swing
- 2019 ➤ The Boulevard rises from the ashes of the Raymond Revuebar
- 2019 ➤ Ever wondered how Rusty Egan does what he does?
- ➤ A double act is born – Sulls & Elms, take a bow!
- ➤ After his Spandau ordeal, singer Ross shakes off the blues
- ➤ How Nile Rodgers “rearranged” Bowie’s Let’s Dance into a stonking hit single
- ➤ The makings of Scarlett, a perfect muse for the Eighties
SEARCH our 700 posts or ZOOM DOWN TO THE ARCHIVE INDEX
UNTOLD BLITZ STORIES
✱ If you thought there was no more to know about the birth of Blitz culture in 1980 then get your hands on a sensational new book by an obsessive music fan called David Barrat. It is gripping, original and epic – a spooky tale of coincidence and parallel lives as mind-tingling as a Sherlock Holmes yarn. Titled both New Romantics Who Never Were and The Untold Story of Spandau Ballet! Sample this initial taster here at Shapers of the 80s
LANDMARK FAREWELLS. . . HIT THE INDEX TAB UP TOP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
✱ “I’m not a rock star” Bowie often said – No, David, you were a messiah – Obituaries and key videos on the godlike one
Archive — Many publication dates are arbitrary, so click and take pot luck!
2010 ➤ Index of posts for November
Posted on 30 Nov 2010
This entry was posted in London, Media, Pop music, Social trends, Technology, Uncategorized, Youth culture and tagged 1918, 2011, Art, Band Aid, Books, David Bowie, Duran Duran, iPhone, Kevin Cann, Lady Gaga, Martin Kemp, Paradise Point, Pink, Princess Julia, TV shows, Video. Bookmark the permalink.